Author Topic: Course and uk uni enquiry  (Read 2172 times)

Offline snowlutie

Course and uk uni enquiry
« on: March 16, 2010, 09:37:55 pm »
I have offer from edinburgh university for mechanical engineering with management.
Is mechanical engineering with management(bachelor) is not that good compared to mechanical engineering(bachelor)?
For engineering degree course, is University of Manchester better than University of edinburgh?

Offline astarmathsandphysics

• SF Overlord
  • Free the exam papers!
Re: Course and uk uni enquiry
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 12:05:58 am »
Offhand I thing it is but I will check 1st thing in morning

Offline snowlutie

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 09:57:34 am »
huh?
I don't get you @@

• SF Overlord
  • Free the exam papers!
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 11:56:02 am »
One mo

• SF Overlord
  • Free the exam papers!
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 12:00:17 pm »
Wrong about that - edinburgh is best. Check for yourself
http://www.unistats.com/

Offline desy.kris

• Number One Mathlete
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 04:34:17 am »
yeah I'd say it's better to go to Edinburgh than to Manchester, although the latter is easier to get into (hence why the former is better).

Mechanical Engineering with Management is not bad! it's what I wanted to study too :)

IBDP May 2012
Indonesian A1 SL • English B HL • Economics SL • Physics HL • Mathematics HL • Chemistry SL

Offline Chingoo

• Prima Donna u__u
  • SF Senior Citizen
  • RAWR
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 01:58:27 pm »
It's not to say that Mechanical Engineering solely is not up to par and Mechanical Engineering with Management is the shizz :P However, the latter has obviously extra credits. The world is moving towards having a good grasp over interlinked fields of study, like a Bachelors in Biological Science is more valuable with a Bachelors in Microbiology in terms of employment opportunities and further study. Not because a Microbiology student knows any less about Microbiology than a Pure Biology student; in fact, you'd argue, he knows in way more depth.

However, in practice, a Microbiologist will not solely be dealing with a virus in a petri dish all day long, independent of external factors. To study its effect on lifeforms, he may need in-depth information about the metabolic processes in animals and plants, and the implications different species of animals or different classes of plants have that have to be considered. He may need to understand the dangers of adding or replacing bacteria in the environment, or the chances of mutations leading to genetically-modified bacteria.

All of these are not solely Microbiology; and so a Biologist would be all-round suitable for just any kind of profession, because he knows of everything sufficiently.

Same goes for Mechanical Engineering with Management. An engineer will not always have an ample supply of money which will never extinguish; he will want to work his plans and projects in a way that they are most economy. Money management is very important, hence a student having extra credit because of that will seem more prolific for an industry than otherwise.

However, it does not mean Mechanical Engineering is useful, just as Microbiology Majors are still studied and quite useful. If you have an offer from Edinburgh, for this subject, take it if you can. And best wishes!
All that is on earth will perish:
But will abide (forever) the Face of thy Lord--full of Majesty, Bounty & Honor.
Then which of the favors of your Lord will ye deny?

Qura'n, Chapter 55: The Beneficent, Verses 26-28