Author Topic: CIE Chemistry Paper 5 Solved Papers  (Read 2312 times)

Offline TJ-56

• SF Citizen
CIE Chemistry Paper 5 Solved Papers
« on: May 13, 2011, 11:15:49 am »
Hey,
I though it would be really beneficial if we posted our solved papers, starting with mine here.
This is from the May June 2007 paper, first experiment.
So I would like to know, would this score all the 7 allocated marks, and is there anything missing?
Thanks.

Offline TJ-56

• SF Citizen
Re: CIE Chemistry Paper 5 Solved Papers
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 09:21:34 am »
Come on people... no one cares to share  :) ?
The exam is tomorrow.

Offline aldehyde1612

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 01:41:28 pm »
I dont think people got what you were asking... cause most of them would just check with the marking scheme. :P
But what you wrote seems right... except the divider- why'd you put that in there??

I used a thisle funnel thing to add the HCl through the stopper..?
.We know a little about a lot of things; Just enough to make us dangerous.

Offline TJ-56

• SF Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 01:47:39 pm »
I dont think people got what you were asking... cause most of them would just check with the marking scheme. :P
But what you wrote seems right... except the divider- why'd you put that in there??

I used a thisle funnel thing to add the HCl through the stopper..?

I used the divider so that the loss of gas can be prevented (I read about the use of the divider in such a way on many websites, and mark schemes as well, is it wrong?)
Well the mark schemes 'describe' what you have to write but do not state model answers or what EXACTLY you have to write and draw, specially tables and numbers, and so I though we could share our 'model answers' to compare and correct for each other.
How is your preparation for tomorrows exam?
Good luck.

Offline aldehyde1612

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 02:46:49 pm »
Im not sure about the divider, cause I honestly dont know much about experimental stuff. lol. but wouldnt that prevent the HCl from reacting with the magnesium strip??

About the marking scheme, I think thats the only good thing about paper5. cause they dont expect exact answers... but eitherway it sucks how no one else put anything up cause this woulda been pretty damn helpful.  :-\

And preparation? well I've done papers from 2007.. but I dont know, I think I feel too calm about tomoro. but its the paper I was freaking out about the most.  
How about you?

thanks. GOOD LUCK to you too! ;D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 02:50:04 pm by aldehyde1612 »

Offline TJ-56

• SF Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 03:06:21 pm »
Im not sure about the divider, cause I honestly dont know much about experimental stuff. lol. but wouldnt that prevent the HCl from reacting with the magnesium strip??

About the marking scheme, I think thats the only good thing about paper5. cause they dont expect exact answers... but eitherway it sucks how no one else put anything up cause this woulda been pretty damn helpful.  :-\

And preparation? well I've done papers from 2007.. but I dont know, I think I feel too calm about tomoro. but its the paper I was freaking out about the most.  
How about you?

thanks. GOOD LUCK to you too! ;D

The divider is not 'fixed' onto the beaker, as soon as the beaker is shaken a bit or if we lean it to either side, the divider falls and hence initiates the reaction. I believe it has been mentioned on the mark schemes as well. As you said though, there is no ONE answer, many answers can be equally acceptable.
Yeah me too, it's not a difficult paper, once you really concentrate, it can be easily solved, so I'm kinda calm too. What's 'the paper you're freaking about the most'?

Offline aldehyde1612

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 03:15:22 pm »
oh. that makes sense I guess.

And I was freaking out about chem paper 5.   :D

Offline TJ-56

• SF Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 03:36:25 pm »
oh. that makes sense I guess.

And I was freaking out about chem paper 5.   :D

Don't worry, as long as you have solved the papers and have fully understood them, you're good to go. As I stated earlier, it just needs a bit of concentration. Hopefully it will be an easy paper.