Author Topic: Anomalous Readin - Chemistry  (Read 933 times)

Offline cashem'up

• SF Geek
Anomalous Readin - Chemistry
« on: May 16, 2011, 08:08:36 pm »
What could be the cause of an anomalous reading in an experiment regarding solubility where solid is dissolved in water and heated, and cooled at temp at which crystals first appear... in an experiment i had two anomalous readings one where the solublitity seemed to high at a given temp (according to graph) what could be the reason(this one was at 90.C).... crystals redissolve... first crystal not noted in large amt of water... in another one solubility seemed to low(at 45.C).. is it possible some water evaporated therefore temp recorded is too high

Offline Sue T

• SF Citizen
Re: Anomalous Readin - Chemistry
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 02:07:06 pm »
are you referring to yesterday's chem p52 ? are you?  ::) cuz if you are - 24 hours have passed and its 'discussable' - and i hope you are cuz no1 seems 2 hav done this variant :/
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad.

Offline cashem'up

• SF Geek
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 07:00:38 pm »
are you referring to yesterday's chem p52 ? are you?  ::) cuz if you are - 24 hours have passed and its 'discussable' - and i hope you are cuz no1 seems 2 hav done this variant :/

yea.. i am.. waddya think abt the abovve thing...

Offline Sue T

• SF Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 08:02:13 pm »
What could be the cause of an anomalous reading in an experiment regarding solubility where solid is dissolved in water and heated, and cooled at temp at which crystals first appear... in an experiment i had two anomalous readings one where the solublitity seemed to high at a given temp (according to graph) what could be the reason(this one was at 90.C).... crystals redissolve... first crystal not noted in large amt of water... in another one solubility seemed to low(at 45.C).. is it possible some water evaporated therefore temp recorded is too high
hmm the thing you wrote about the too high solubility being due to a large amount of water - wasnt solubility = mass of solid/mass of water into 100? so if solubility is too high, amount of water would've been too low?and your reasons would be reversed?(correct me if im wrong - im too tired to think)  By the way u got only 2 anomalous points? lucky - i ended up with a very scattered graph :s and some ppl as well from my school - almost everything was anomalous - i randomly picked a point from each side of the line :/
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad.