Author Topic: 6BI05 Scientific Article June 2011 Discussion  (Read 13313 times)

Offline notReverend

Re: 6BI05 Scientific Article June 2011 Discussion
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2011, 05:15:27 pm »
1) why is there a difficulty in researching with Foxo to overcome atrophy?

The FoxO transcription factors govern development, proliferation, survival and longevity during multiple cellular environments that can involve oxidative stress. They are also closely integrated with several novel signal transduction pathways, that may influence the ability of FoxO to act as a ‘double-edged sword’, to sometimes promote cell survival, but at other times lead to cell injury.

Offline notReverend

« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2011, 05:18:48 pm »
2) what are anti-wasting drugs? what is the advantages and disadvantages of anti-wasting drug?

i think i missed the part on anti-wasting drugs. not being able to find it in the article, and i also don't see much about it on google.
 ???
so, this question is up for grabs, that is, if anyone actually wants to take a stab at it

Offline notReverend

« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2011, 05:28:20 pm »
never mind...
so, an anti-wasting drug basically stops the body from dismantling muscle when we stop using it (yes, i'm more or less quoting from the article atm)
the aim of the drug is to tackle weakness in the sick and elderly, and to help astronauts during their time in outer-space.
so, the 'disadvantage' would be that athletes could pick these up and use them to prevent any muscle atrophy, maybe in between competitions and tournaments, maybe to compete better.
the advantage that i can see is that people who really suffer from either atrophy or dystrophy will benefit from this drug. they will be able to retain their muscles, or at least some of their muscles, say, after breaking a leg, or in the midst of a disease that causes dystrophy, etc.

i'll leave the answer like this, okay? frankly, i'm not too confident about the question, so i don't want to think too much on it. hope nobody minds...i've been hoping a lot lately, eh?

and i'm talking to myself right now :p

Offline dragon_knight

« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2011, 04:39:18 am »
wow thanks a lot guys!!! these explanations surely helped me a lot for the exam ( which less than 2 hours are left :) )
and sorry if i raised some somehow nonsense questions. i just saw on the practice files uploaded in this board and could not solve these questions so i asked them.

+rep to all especially to not Reverend and hope u all do well in bio u5!!!

(By the way the phy4 is really tough, especially the electronic spreadsheet question and the momentum conservation problem. i got final KE > initla KE :( )

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
  • "Be the person you want to meet."
« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2011, 04:44:50 am »
wow thanks a lot guys!!! these explanations surely helped me a lot for the exam ( which less than 2 hours are left :) )
and sorry if i raised some somehow nonsense questions. i just saw on the practice files uploaded in this board and could not solve these questions so i asked them.

+rep to all especially to not Reverend and hope u all do well in bio u5!!!

(By the way the phy4 is really tough, especially the electronic spreadsheet question and the momentum conservation problem. i got final KE > initla KE :( )

Good luck for Biology. (:

Remember, no discussion of the exam until 24 hours have passed.

Discussion can be done here: https://studentforums.biz/gce-as-a2-level-(cie-edexcel)/edexcel-2011-mayjune-examination-discussion-!/

:D
Download SF Magazine 2012 here.

Offline dragon_knight

« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2011, 11:01:07 am »
Good luck for Biology. (:

Remember, no discussion of the exam until 24 hours have passed.

Discussion can be done here: https://studentforums.biz/gce-as-a2-level-(cie-edexcel)/edexcel-2011-mayjune-examination-discussion-!/

:D

ooops sorry... but isn't 24 hours past already when i left my comment?

anyway ya i'll bear in mind of that :)

Offline notReverend

« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2011, 12:07:51 pm »
dragon_knight, you're very, very welcome!
actually, I really have to thank you. answering your questions really helped me answer the questions on the exam. wopee!
i'll be back later deffo after 24 hours to give more details.
next up for me, chemistry!
and that's not in this topic, that's for sure :)