Author Topic: How to study for biology? :(  (Read 3493 times)

Amelia

Re: How to study for biology? :(
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2010, 02:20:34 pm »
Amy for short, ain't that okay?? :P :)

Yep! its pretty cool. :D *hi5*  ;) :D

The Secret - your welcome.

That Mary Jones text book is also equally good  ;). But yes, I suggest you check Biological Sciences too. Videos are like a revision, its makes you thorough. ;)

And ofcourse, the past papers are the vital part. Practise the papers of the past 10 years.
umm...yup, that's about all I can say now.

P.S - I forgot mk is a bio student, too. :D

Offline Master_Key

• SF Master
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2010, 02:21:56 pm »
Yep! its pretty cool. :D *hi5*  ;) :D

The Secret - your welcome.

That Mary Jones text book is also equally good  ;). But yes, I suggest you check Biological Sciences too. Videos are like a revision, its makes you thorough. ;)

And ofcourse, the past papers are the vital part. Practise the papers of the past 10 years.
umm...yup, that's about all I can say now.

P.S - I forgot mk is a bio student, too. :D

How can you?

I am a student of :-
PHYSICS
CHEMISTRY
BIOLOGY
ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT
MATHS
COMPUTING
ENGLISH

Amelia

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2010, 02:30:06 pm »
How can you?

I am a student of :-
PHYSICS
CHEMISTRY
BIOLOGY
ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT
MATHS
COMPUTING
ENGLISH

Whoa!! last time I had these subjects I was in GD. 10.  :D

Sorry, mk. I wont forget now. Promise.

Offline Master_Key

• SF Master
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2010, 02:31:11 pm »

Whoa!! last time I had these subjects I was in GD. 10.  :D

Sorry, mk. I wont forget now. Promise.

I have these subjects in AS Levels. :P

DO NOT TRY TO FORGET.

**RoRo**

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2010, 07:21:54 pm »
Matey, for A-level Biology, Advanced Biology by Jones and Jones (i.e. Mary Jones and Geoff Jones) is like THE BEST. Also, if you're doing your exam under edexcel- Salters Nuffield Advanced Biology is great too. These books are the best I ever read. They're so cool :). They explain very very well. The book by Jones and Jones can be used by anyone anytime! And that's because it's follows the CIE syllabus-which's international.

It's not necessary for you to study thru videos and stuff like that always. It would just make your studying more interesting. But if you haven't done that ever, don't do that all of a sudden. For those who don't study that way, it can often be difficult to start and then continue. Anyway, you're good in any case, I mean hello an A* (By the way-congratulations :P :D). And about knowing what the examiner wants, go thru the mark schemes thoroughly and the Examiner reports-if you'd like to. Don't go thru a lot of them- the examiner reports. Remember you're doing that only to form an idea about what they're looking for-which is pretty much obvious from the mark schemes anyway!

I agree, I just used it over the weekend to study 'Biological Molecules' and it turned out to be really good!

The reason I didn't discover that earlier is that IGCSE book that my school recommended was AWFUL - literally, I just opened it in Year 9 but then it remained in my cupboard rarely touched till I got my A* and decided to shift it to another cupboard to make space for my AS/A level books!

& Thank you! :D

Examiner reports are pretty good, to be honest, they do give you an idea of what is expected, they did help in IGCSE, so I'll definitely have a look at them!

What almost all the teachers have said in my school was that if you've gotten an A* in your IGCSE, you'll get a C or a D in AS/A levels, that was pretty much motivating *cough*cough* - absolutely not!

So I really don't want that to happen at all, I'm aiming for A's in AS and A* in A-levels Insha'Allah!! :)

Thanks a lot!! :)

Amelia

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2010, 07:43:29 pm »
You can do it inshallah. Believe in yourself. :) But dont get overconfident. :P

**RoRo**

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2010, 11:41:09 am »
You can do it inshallah. Believe in yourself. :) But dont get overconfident. :P

Sure! Thanks a lot once again! :D

**RoRo**

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2010, 12:09:58 pm »
I hear myself in your question you posted. But that was more than 12 years ago!

I would suggest you to follow a step by step approach when dealing with AS Biology. Try to simplify things.

Regarding the resources it does NOT matter but you must follow your syllabus no matter what! Let your syllabus be your guide.

Last but not least visit my site www.igcsebiology.co.uk and post a question in the A-level page or the Coaching page.

We can have a live discussion or I can show you an example of how you can study a topic.

I'm glad I'm not the "weirdo" here because reading people's replies and seeing my classmates and friends in school, seems that people are having a pretty good time with Biology, unlike me!

I do like to have everything simplified, I can't stand complications at all in anything in general and in studies to be very specific!

When I understand something, I understand it in a very simple way and that's how I can build up on it and advance it.

Sure, the syllabus is really helpful and it's a pretty good guide.
But, many a times I find things that are not there in the syllabus but are asked in the exam papers... I've seen that especially in IGCSE, where questions about certain aspects in the syllabus that are not mentioned [like the hidden part of the syllabus! LOL :D]

But it is, no doubt, very helpful!

I've just downloaded the Revision Checklist that you've included in your website [which is really good by the way], I'll go through it and I hope things work out well!! :)

Thanks a lot!! :D

Offline M-H

• SF Master
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2010, 09:11:59 pm »
I agree, I just used it over the weekend to study 'Biological Molecules' and it turned out to be really good!

The reason I didn't discover that earlier is that IGCSE book that my school recommended was AWFUL - literally, I just opened it in Year 9 but then it remained in my cupboard rarely touched till I got my A* and decided to shift it to another cupboard to make space for my AS/A level books!

& Thank you! :D

Examiner reports are pretty good, to be honest, they do give you an idea of what is expected, they did help in IGCSE, so I'll definitely have a look at them!

What almost all the teachers have said in my school was that if you've gotten an A* in your IGCSE, you'll get a C or a D in AS/A levels, that was pretty much motivating *cough*cough* - absolutely not!

So I really don't want that to happen at all, I'm aiming for A's in AS and A* in A-levels Insha'Allah!! :)

Thanks a lot!! :)

I really hope that doesn't happen..well I'll just share my experience.

Yeah, so, well..I am believed to be one of the best in bio...I thought so too...got a B...shocker...felt awful..but wth-grades don't show my true potential..so I am repeating..I mean who can bring me down..better die trying than just let go ;D ;D..So I'll repeat next Jan, and will try not to repeat my mistakes..let's hope for the best :|

**RoRo**

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2010, 11:53:08 am »

Yeah, so, well..I am believed to be one of the best in bio...I thought so too...got a B...shocker...felt awful..but wth-grades don't show my true potential..so I am repeating..I mean who can bring me down..better die trying than just let go ;D ;D..So I'll repeat next Jan, and will try not to repeat my mistakes..let's hope for the best :|

That's sad! :(

Good luck in January then, I hope you'd get your A!! :D

Amelia

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2010, 02:22:11 pm »

Good Luck, girl!! ;D