Author Topic: Scaling of Marks / Grade Thresholds  (Read 935 times)

Offline Karan

Scaling of Marks / Grade Thresholds
« on: October 15, 2010, 10:41:03 am »
Hey!
I'm just a little confused about how to interpret the grade thresholds... I just did an A2 chemistry paper, and scored 70/100... the grade threshold says that the minimum mark to get an A is 54/100 for that paper... does that mean that I would have scored an A in the actual exam even if I had only answered 70% correctly?

If the minimum mark for an A according the grade threshold was 60/100, and I scored 65/100, would the mark on my CIE marksheet be above 80?
The desire for knowledge, like the thirst for riches, increases ever with the acquisition of it.

Offline Deadly_king

• <<Th3 BO$$>>
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Farseer
  • Hard work ALWAYS pays off.........just be patient!
    • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
Re: Scaling of Marks / Grade Thresholds
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 10:48:19 am »
Hey!
I'm just a little confused about how to interpret the grade thresholds... I just did an A2 chemistry paper, and scored 70/100... the grade threshold says that the minimum mark to get an A is 54/100 for that paper... does that mean that I would have scored an A in the actual exam even if I had only answered 70% correctly?

If the minimum mark for an A according the grade threshold was 60/100, and I scored 65/100, would the mark on my CIE marksheet be above 80?

Yeah.........you would have scored an A. But you did not do the paper under exam conditions. So it's not likely to be so easy :P

The threshold mark depends on the difficulty of the paper. It may vary as far as 60%. In this case it was 54 which means many students who sat for the paper that year found it hard.

I don't know if they would be writing above 80, but you'll surely get an A :)

Offline Karan

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 10:56:57 am »
Lol... that's true... I do time myself while doing papers, but it's far more relaxed at home than under exam conditions!

Anyway, thanks for the help!  :)
The desire for knowledge, like the thirst for riches, increases ever with the acquisition of it.

Offline Deadly_king

• <<Th3 BO$$>>
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Farseer
  • Hard work ALWAYS pays off.........just be patient!
    • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 11:04:16 am »
Lol... that's true... I do time myself while doing papers, but it's far more relaxed at home than under exam conditions!

Anyway, thanks for the help!  :)

Anytime dude :)