Author Topic: I'M DEAD... well close to it.  (Read 5619 times)

elemis

Re: I'M DEAD... well close to it.
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2010, 11:37:38 am »
I wasnt being angry ::)

I am just a good Samaritan thats here to help.

Offline Galleria

• SF Citizen
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 03:40:45 pm »
Okay;
let me make it easier for you.
I don't understand these things in my syllabus:

- be able to distinguish between transverse and longitudinal waves and appreciate the circumstances in which either or both might occur ????
- appreciate the way a wave can be reflected off a plane barrier ?????????????????????
- appreciate the way in which a wave can change direction as its speed changes ? WTF ?

- appreciate how reflection and refraction properties can be applied to understand the transmission of light down an optical fibre
- appreciate how sound levels can be measured and appreciate the desirability of reducing noise levels yet recognise the problems involved in doing this

-understand that diffraction and the speed of light in glass, in relation to that in air, are some evidence for the wave nature of light
-appreciate how energy can be transferred from waves and how it is possible to be selective in making that transfer
-appreciate that earthquakes involve the passage of waves through the Earth
-understand that wave motion is a useful way of describing and explaining the behaviour of light and sound
-appreciate the nature of colour vision
in terms of primary and secondary
colours
-be able to identify wavelength with
colour in light
-know how sound can be transmitted
through air as a wave
-be able to relate the loudness and
pitch of a sound to the amplitude and
frequency of the sound wave

lol that's around it
:D

Offline Vin

• SF V.I.P
    • Theory of Life - A new skew.
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 03:42:54 pm »
Hmm..all of it? :x

Give me some time, will you? ;)

Offline Galleria

• SF Citizen
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2010, 03:46:20 pm »
looool alright! :D

Offline Vin

• SF V.I.P
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2010, 05:01:50 pm »
- be able to distinguish between transverse and longitudinal waves and appreciate the circumstances in which either or both might occur

Transverse waves
Vibrations at right angles to the direction the waves travels.

i.e. When a disturbance is created, the molecules 'vibrate', basically up and down, which is perpendicular to the motion of the wave.

Graphical representation

[Right-click view image]

Longitudinal waves
Vibrations in the same direction as the waves travels.

i.e. When a disturbance is created, the molecules 'vibrate' to and fro, forwards and backwards which in in the direction of the wave motion.

During earthquakes, both occur simultaneously : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthquake_waves
Though you don't have to know the details.

-appreciate the way a wave can be reflected off a plane barrier

Light waves, sound waves, examples of transverse and longitudinal respectively reflect when hit a surface.

Regular and irregular refelction of light

Uses of reflection of sound (echo)

-appreciate the way in which a wave can change direction as its speed changes

I think this is the explanation : relating it to the previous explanation,  the phenomena can be called as refraction.

When a light wave passes form an optically denser median to a rarer medium or vise versa the speed as well as direction changes.

In the picture : A ray of light enters from air into glass

- appreciate how reflection and refraction properties can be applied to understand the transmission of light down an optical fibre

Light can be trapped by total internal reflection inside a glass rod and 'piped' along a curve pat. A single, very thin glass fibre behaves in the same way.

See, you must know what is critical angle of a substance for the explanation. Critical angle is when the angle of refraction is 90*.

http://www.medrounds.org/optics-review/uploaded_images/Figure18-774908.jpg

In the picture : R2 shows the critical angle.

If this critical angle is exceeded, total internal reflection occurs. R3 in the picture shows total internal reflection.

Optic fibres use this principle to propagate light rays or any other electromagnetic radiation to long distances.

Offline Galleria

• SF Citizen
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2010, 05:32:57 pm »
:D THAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANKS :D!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 08:19:40 am by Galleria »

Offline Deadly_king

• <<Th3 BO$$>>
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Farseer
  • Hard work ALWAYS pays off.........just be patient!
    • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2010, 05:39:07 pm »
- be able to distinguish between transverse and longitudinal waves and appreciate the circumstances in which either or both might occur

Transverse waves
Vibrations at right angles to the direction the waves travels.

i.e. When a disturbance is created, the molecules 'vibrate', basically up and down, which is perpendicular to the motion of the wave.

Graphical representation

[Right-click view image]

Longitudinal waves
Vibrations in the same direction as the waves travels.

i.e. When a disturbance is created, the molecules 'vibrate' to and fro, forwards and backwards which in in the direction of the wave motion.

During earthquakes, both occur simultaneously : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthquake_waves
Though you don't have to know the details.

-appreciate the way a wave can be reflected off a plane barrier

Light waves, sound waves, examples of transverse and longitudinal respectively reflect when hit a surface.

Regular and irregular refelction of light

Uses of reflection of sound (echo)

-appreciate the way in which a wave can change direction as its speed changes

I think this is the explanation : relating it to the previous explanation,  the phenomena can be called as refraction.

When a light wave passes form an optically denser median to a rarer medium or vise versa the speed as well as direction changes.

In the picture : A ray of light enters from air into glass

Light can be trapped by total internal reflection inside a glass rod and 'piped' along a curve pat. A single, very thin glass fibre behaves in the same way.

See, you must know what is critical angle of a substance for the explanation. Critical angle is when the angle of refraction is 90*.

http://www.medrounds.org/optics-review/uploaded_images/Figure18-774908.jpg

In the picture : R2 shows the critical angle.

If this critical angle is exceeded, total internal reflection occurs. R3 in the picture shows total internal reflection.

Optic fibres use this principle to propagate light rays or any other electromagnetic radiation to long distances.

w0w.......that's tremendous work Vin  :D

+ rep

Offline Vin

• SF V.I.P
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2010, 10:14:01 pm »
- appreciate how sound levels can be measured and appreciate the desirability of reducing noise levels yet recognise the problems involved in doing this

Alright, this part I think I have a slight idea but then I cannot be too sure and post inaccurate info. :/
What subjects is this, again? I've never ever learnt such stuff. :S

-understand that diffraction and the speed of light in glass, in relation to that in air, are some evidence for the wave nature of light

This simply means that light waves have the following properties : Diffraction and speed of light in air ( greater than in medium - glass/water etc.)

-appreciate how energy can be transferred from waves and how it is possible to be selective in making that transfer

Uhm, I'm not too sure about this. How about, when a disturbance is created, the particles transfer the energy one particle to another creating a wave. How it is possible to be selective in making that transfer - probably, take for example a loudspeaker, you can control the volume, so you're basically controlling the 'transfer of energy'. Light intensity - you can control it by using variable resistors.
I'm not sure though.

-appreciate that earthquakes involve the passage of waves through the Earth
I guess the Wikipedia link should help, cos I don't know anything significantly. :P

-understand that wave motion is a useful way of describing and explaining the behaviour of light and sound

Basically they mean the graphical representation (the pictures in my previous post) is useful? :/  

Offline Vin

• SF V.I.P
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2010, 10:20:03 pm »
:D

Well, um, I hate to say this but, um, only emotions or symbols, or saying just "thanks" or "Thank you" are considered as spam and supposed to be deleted. Don't forget to add some text next time. ;) Can you modify your post please? (: