Author Topic: urgent please!!  (Read 1628 times)

Offline mayyoya92

• SF Immigrant
urgent please!!
« on: August 27, 2010, 11:54:53 am »
hi i just wanted to know if i can get an A* in alevel bio ...i'm taking A2 bio and i got A in AS ...BUT the problem is that i got B paper 2 ...A paper1 and 3 ...they told me i can't have a star...please i need an answer urgently  !!

Offline Saladin

• The Samurai
  • Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
  • I believe in those who believe in me
    • Student Tech
Re: urgent please!!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 11:57:29 am »
hi i just wanted to know if i can get an A* in alevel bio ...i'm taking A2 bio and i got A in AS ...BUT the problem is that i got B paper 2 ...A paper1 and 3 ...they told me i can't have a star...please i need an answer urgently  !!

No, you can still get an A*. For an A*, you need your overall % of UMS to be 80%. And you need your A2 UMS % to be 90%.

So, if you have gotten an A in AS, then you can still get an A* in A Levels is you get a 90% in A2.

Offline mayyoya92

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 03:49:55 pm »
oooh thank you so much ...by the way i'm cie not edexcel ....this is valid for cie also right??  ...and sorry but what's UMS? thanxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Chingoo

• Prima Donna u__u
  • SF Senior Citizen
  • RAWR
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 04:44:09 pm »
oooh thank you so much ...by the way i'm cie not edexcel ....this is valid for cie also right??  ...and sorry but what's UMS? thanxxxxxxxxxxx

Well, there is no concrete explanation for how an A* is calculated on the CIE website and I've written them about it a few days back and am hoping for a reply soon. I'll PM you if I get it.

However, the most I can say is that your teachers are correct; the closest to the explanation on their site of how grades are determined by CIE shows that they consider a 50% of AS-Level results and 50% of A-Level. Given you have a B in Paper 2 implies your UMS (uniform mark scale, overall percentage scored with the highest mark scored in the entire session taken as 100) must be lower than 90%. Since A* means an overall percentage of 90 and above, so it'd be hard for you to balance it out in A2.

BUT, don't give up; you never know, if you work hard you could score an A* anyhow. Don't give up!
All that is on earth will perish:
But will abide (forever) the Face of thy Lord--full of Majesty, Bounty & Honor.
Then which of the favors of your Lord will ye deny?

Qura'n, Chapter 55: The Beneficent, Verses 26-28

Offline mayyoya92

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 08:10:55 pm »
thank you soo much,please inform me when you recieve a reply ... :D :D       

Offline Saladin

• The Samurai
  • Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
  • I believe in those who believe in me
    • Student Tech
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 08:11:46 pm »

Its the same for CIE and Edexcel.

Offline mayyoya92

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 08:21:36 pm »
thank you very much !

Offline mayyoya92

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 11:56:20 am »
anybody has additional information about the issue?!  ...i'm so concerned about this so please inform me?! thanxx

Offline The Golden Girl =D

• Without Allah I'm nothing <3
  • Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
  • Ain't Nothin worth your tears =D
    • www.thegoldengirl157.blogspot.com
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 07:37:49 pm »
for engineerin u need to take Math and Physics ...but good Unis usually accept students with 3-4 A levels so Chem  would be good if u wanna do it as well ^_^
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest(13:28)

Please, Don't forget to Include GG in your Prayers =D

elemis

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 07:03:42 am »
Thanks for the reply.. But the thing is that I haven't done chemistry for IGCSE and now I guess if I do it, it will be really hard for me. Even if i want to take chemistry and I work really hard at it my school headmistress won't allow me. We are only allowed to take a subject for A level if we have done it in IGCSE, extended level and should have passed it with a C. So is it possible to do engineering with physics ans Maths only?

Yes you can, but chemical engineering and anything to do with science is not within your scope.

Offline The Golden Girl =D

• Without Allah I'm nothing <3
  • Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
  • Ain't Nothin worth your tears =D
    • www.thegoldengirl157.blogspot.com
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 11:49:50 am »
Yes you can, but chemical engineering and anything to do with science is not within your scope.

Well Said .
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest(13:28)

Please, Don't forget to Include GG in your Prayers =D