Author Topic: Careers related to medicine?  (Read 5187 times)

Offline Malak

• Honorary Member
  • SF Farseer
  • A warm smile is the universal language of kindness
Careers related to medicine?
« on: May 18, 2011, 03:54:02 pm »
Hi..I was wondering what other careers are there, other than medicine/dentistry, that you can work in a hospital or something.
I have medicine in my mind but m confused a bit if i'll meet up the requirements..And just wondering what other careers there are?
I am doing Math, phy, chem, and IT for as and so far my grades are ABB
Ill do bio next year as an A-lvl
Any suggestions?
If you are a man who degrades women then allow me to respectfully remind you that you came from ONE

Reminder to myself: Stop worrying and start working

SF magazine 2012 - Download here

Offline The InViSiBlE GIrl (Eva)

• SF Master
  • YOU'RE NOBODY UNTIL YOU'RE TALKED ABOUT!! XOXO
Re: Careers related to medicine?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 06:58:21 pm »
U could tr for medical writing, its a fairly new career that has come up and they do not have sufficient workforce for it either. And u will require complete medical knowledge for it too.
The best part is that their starting salaries are unexpectedly high  ;)
LiFe Is NoT tHe MeAsUrE oF tHe NuMbEr Of BrEaDtHs We TaKe, BuT rAtHeR oF tHe MoMeNtS tHaT tOoK oUr BrEaDtHs AwAy <3 LIFE :-D

Offline Malak

• Honorary Member
  • SF Farseer
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 08:11:32 pm »
U could tr for medical writing, its a fairly new career that has come up and they do not have sufficient workforce for it either. And u will require complete medical knowledge for it too.
The best part is that their starting salaries are unexpectedly high  ;)

umm...I am not really good at writing :P
If you are a man who degrades women then allow me to respectfully remind you that you came from ONE

Offline HUSH1994

• SF Farseer
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 11:32:15 am »
their is genetic engineering,i was thinking about studying it before,its really interesting,but i wanted something with more chemistry involved,so i choose chemical engineering :)

Offline elfroggo

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 10:19:57 am »
there's always hospital administration - my aunt does that. But if you're stuck there are some good websites that give you info on medicine careers, try:

http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/index.shtml

or this website gives you an intro to all the different health/medicine options:

http://www.allaboutcareers.com/careers/industry/health-social-care.htm
http://www.allaboutcareers.com/careers/industry/medicine-medical-sciences-research.htm

or you could try prospects...

Offline Malak

• Honorary Member
  • SF Farseer
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 01:23:11 pm »
Oh Thanks, ill look through those..
And thanks people for the suggestions

Amelia

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 04:14:37 pm »
There are many Health Science Fields.

- Medical Laboratory Technology (MLT) - Working in the labs; with blood, urine, migrorganisms other stuffs..

- Medical Diagnostic Imaging (MDI) - requires a lot of physics. You'll study about X-ray, CT, Nuclear Medicine, MRI and etc.

- Physiotheraphy - Help patients with injuries and illnesses that limit their ability to move and perform functional activites.

- Nursing - Well, you know what nurses do.  ::) They earn really well... and they study as much as the doctors do.

- Health Service Administration - Basically, managerial work.

- Clinical Nutrition and Dietetics - The name says it all. Working with patients and.. food.  :P

I just gave the names. You can research more on them and choose what you want to do.  ;)

Offline NidZ- Hero

• People say i m borderline crazy Sorta kinda :D
  • SF Senior Citizen
  • IDK what makes u such a LOSER.But it really works
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 06:30:17 pm »
How is genetic engineering

Or wats btter Chemical

but hey i guess it requires Math

Offline Banana

• Global Moderator
  • SF Master
  • The Dancin' Banana
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 06:09:00 pm »
There are many Health Science Fields.

- Medical Laboratory Technology (MLT) - Working in the labs; with blood, urine, migrorganisms other stuffs..

- Medical Diagnostic Imaging (MDI) - requires a lot of physics. You'll study about X-ray, CT, Nuclear Medicine, MRI and etc.

- Physiotheraphy - Help patients with injuries and illnesses that limit their ability to move and perform functional activites.

- Nursing - Well, you know what nurses do.  ::) They earn really well... and they study as much as the doctors do.

- Health Service Administration - Basically, managerial work.

- Clinical Nutrition and Dietetics - The name says it all. Working with patients and.. food.  :P

I just gave the names. You can research more on them and choose what you want to do.  ;)

Thanx but what is the course the uni's call medicine? or are these branches?? :/
Save Mars...it's the only habitable planet that doesn't have schools ;D

Amelia

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 08:23:34 pm »
Thanx but what is the course the uni's call medicine? or are these branches?? :/

No, these are fields of Health Sciences. People who work in hospitals, deal with patients.. but they are not called doctors. They are just referred as Physiotherapists or Nutritionists.

People who study Medicine (and hold the M.B.B.S degree are called doctors), they further specialize in different branches like gynecology, cardiology, neurology etc. Oh, Dentists are doc's as well.  :P

I forgot to mention Pharmacy. It's everything related to medicine. But you dont get to work in the hospital.  ::)

Offline Malak

• Honorary Member
  • SF Farseer
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 12:18:35 pm »
No, these are fields of Health Sciences. People who work in hospitals, deal with patients.. but they are not called doctors. They are just referred as Physiotherapists or Nutritionists.

People who study Medicine (and hold the M.B.B.S degree are called doctors), they further specialize in different branches like gynecology, cardiology, neurology etc. Oh, Dentists are doc's as well.  :P

I forgot to mention Pharmacy. It's everything related to medicine. But you dont get to work in the hospital.  ::)

Then where do you work? I thought they can work in hospital too, A friend of mine whose mom is a pharmacist works in a hosp  :-\

Offline Banana

• Global Moderator
  • SF Master
  • The Dancin' Banana
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 01:17:45 pm »
Then where do you work? I thought they can work in hospital too, A friend of mine whose mom is a pharmacist works in a hosp  :-\

Lol because maybe the pharmacy is int he hosp?  ;D
Save Mars...it's the only habitable planet that doesn't have schools ;D